Monday 7 November 2011

Suresh Kumar Raina focused on return

Raina focused on return

Suresh Raina might be out of the Test squad currently playing West Indies, but he remains undeterred and is focused on fighting his way back into the national team.
On Saturday, Raina yesterday hammered an unbeaten double century in the UP versus Punjab Ranji Trophy match in Mohali.
“It was a very important knock for me. I only looked to maintain my consistency from the ODIs and now here. Not only getting runs, but scoring big is also important. And it is a satisfying feeling to have scored a double hundred. I am happy with the way it went. Playing at No 6-7, it is difficult to score big. Hence, it is a nice feeling,” said the UP skipper to DNA.
"I wanted to spend as much time as possible at the crease. I had a pretty good stint in West Indies scoring three half-centuries and almost saved the Test at Lord’s with an 80. But then was unfortunate not to get runs later. This Ranji match was very important and I hope to continue in the same manner,” Raina said.
Raina believes he will have to perform consistently if he needs to become a permanent fixture in the Indian test lineup.
“Sehwag always says 50 or 100 are made by everyone, but scoring a big double hundred is what gets noticed. Right now I am competing with myself. I’m 24-years old and I want to be successful in all the formats. I want to play well everywhere against Australia, West Indies and make most in the domestic cricket," he said.
But Raina insists he will not let the critics get to him but will stick to the advice he gets from the seniors. "For me what Sachin, Rahul and Laxman say is important and not the critics. I am learning a lot from them,” he said.